MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Freefall

Freefall - Tess Oliver I liked this one. Scotlyn lost her ability to speak after an accident as a teenager. She has been told that loss of speech is a manifestation of psychological trauma and not a physical condition, but it is a hurdle she cannot overcome. She is "saved" from the streets by Lincoln but over time her rescuer becomes her tormentor.

Scotlyn's silence added an interesting "something extra" to the storyline. Her muteness affects how other people see her (some assuming she is stupid, others talking around her as though she were deaf even though they know she is not), but when she meets Nix, his ability to read her feelings and see her as a whole person gives her hope that she can escape from her abusive situation.

On the down side, there were a lot of superfluous characters in the story and that annoyed me. It is my hunch that all of the "extra" people were a kind of cheap attempt by the author to prepare the reader for sequels.

Maybe Matt's Miracle