MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Rome

Rome - Jay Crownover This was a BR with my wonderful friend Wendy. Her review was comprehensive, insightful, and beautifully written, so I direct you there and I will just add a few thoughts of my own. I apologize now for all of the spoiler tags that follow.

I loved the relationship between Rome and Cora. I highlighted fantastic quotes throughout the book in which Cora and Rome expressed their feelings in ways that I thought were so unique, so articulate. Cora was strong. Cora was a problem fixer. Cora had her own problems but overcame them by helping others. Rome was damaged, broody and unsure of his place among his family and friends after returning from the military. Realizing that this was not the man he wanted to be, he got help and worked to make himself someone he was proud of again. The self-realization that both Mcs underwent was well played and so refreshing.

The most incredible part of the book for me was the development of Remy’s story. The visit from his boyfriend Orlando was touching, poignant and completely unexpected. The fact that his loss was seemingly completely overlooked by the Archer family and how they never really acknowledged Orlando’s importance to Remy kinda pissed me off big time.

But, there were several plot points that annoyed the hell out of me. Both because they were overused and second you could see them coming a mile away.

First was the overused unprotected sex, TWICE followed by a pregnancy. There wasn’t even the “oh shit” we got carried away until the second time which I found totally unbelievable considering she wasn’t even on the pill. How the hell does that happen in this day and age and why do authors use this as a relationship testing tool in so many books? I did love the fact that Rome came back on his own and Cora didn’t have to go chase after him to tell him she was pregnant, or worse, decide not to tell him at all. His response was classy and came from the heart.

Second was Cora and Rome getting shot by the biker. I knew it was coming. I didn’t know when and I didn’t know who exactly was going to get shot but you knew that biker was going to come back and cause trouble. At least Cora didn’t get kidnapped. That would have been so cliché

Third was the return of Jimmy. I give Ms. Cronover props, however, for the fact that it didn’t play out anything like I expected and Cora’s reaction was unpredictable and a major turning point in the book.

Despite these frustrations, I really enjoyed this book and all of the great moments. I also love the fact that the author set us up to be anxiously awaiting Nash’s book without inundating us with interactions that were totally irrelevant to this book or any sort of cliffhanger.

3.75 stars

Maybe now I can get that damn B-52s song out of my head.

Maybe Matt's Miracle