MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

The Rocker That Holds Her

The Rocker That Holds Her - Terri Anne Browning It seems like yesterday that Emmie was just a dirty little rag doll that we tried to take care of...

From the prologue in book 1, The Rocker that Holds Me, where Nic and 3 other teenage boys in the trailer park come to little Emmie's rescue from her abusive mother, I was sucked into this series. Every prologue of every subsequent book, telling another story where one of the boys (later to become the rock band, Demon's Wings) protects, hides, or cares for Emmie, made me love them even more. This is by far my favorite series in the rocker genre. That being said, when I saw that this book was going to be Nic and Emmy's story retold from Nic's POV, I was concerned that I was going to be stuck reading a rehash of book 1 with nothing new to offer. Thank gods (do I sound like Emmie?) I was wrong. There was some parts that were exactly the same as the first book, but so happens that those parts were my favorite parts and I didn't really mind reading them again. Had I read book 1 last week and not 6 months ago, perhaps this might have bothered me more (had I read book 1 last week, it is possible that I might find that this book is more repetative than it seems to me now, but that is the advantage of having the memory of a gnat). Overall, as I recall things at least, this book nicely supplemented, complimented, and filled in the gaps from book 1 without being redundant.

So this one starts with 5 year old Emmie just moving into the trailer park, filthy and bruised and 15 year old Nic's protective instincts first kicking in. Nic instantly knows that he and his friends are her only hope because calling the cops would mean foster care and foster care would be hell for this sweet little girl. And right here, I am sucked into the story line all over again.

If you have read books 1 and 2, you already know what happens in this book but it is good enough to relive all over again from a new perspective. If you haven't read the first two books, you should.

Now the premise of the next book, The Rockers' Babies makes me raise my eyebrows. I think of those old sit coms where the writers are running out of ideas so they introduce a new baby to the mix (think Full House, Family Ties, etc.). I guess we will have to wait and see if it works. We also get a few more hints about Axton's forthcoming book (following the babies), The Rocker that Wants Me.... and then a spin off series about Axton's band, OtherWorld? We shall see.

Maybe Matt's Miracle