MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Pup

Pup - SJD Peterson I hate it. I hate it not. I hate it. I ...

To me a 2 star rating is a DNF. I have never given 2 stars to a book I have finished. I have never given 2 stars to a book where I still plan to read the sequel. I guess there is a first time for everything, yeah?

Objectively, there was nothing wrong with the mechanics of the book. The story flowed well, the MCs were well developed, the supporting cast was believable and did not distract from the main event.

But.... I hated Tackett like I have never hated an MC before. Well, that’s not entirely true but in other stories where I have hated an MC, I was supposed to hate the MC like Kyle in [b:Accidentally on Purpose|13601550|Accidentally on Purpose (Accidentally on Purpose, #1)|L.D. Davis|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344087171s/13601550.jpg|19194363] and Leah in [b:Dirty Red|15832316|Dirty Red (Love Me With Lies, #2)|Tarryn Fisher|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1364298887s/15832316.jpg|21568137]. Here, I don’t think the author intended me to loath this man as much as I did.

Tackett is a 40 something Dom who has never been in a full time D/s relationship. Micah wants Tackett to be his Dom. Micah is sweet, young, sexy, flirty and persistent. He has ADD/ADHD and is a bit flighty at times. He struggles to overcome his self doubt and the challenges that come with his inability to pay attention at times. As much as I hated Tackett, I loved Micah more (which again makes it hard to rate this book).

Micah needs to find focus and Tackett decides to take on this challenge. But the way he does it seemed so cruel and heartless to me. This problem goes beyond the physical BDSM elements being to hardcore for my tastes. They really weren’t. But the way Tackett played on Micah’s fears and insecurities made me want to scream. I don’t know much about psychology or special education, but I don’t think this is how one deals with ADD/ADHD, especially in someone that you claim to care about. Tackett’s methods went beyond tough love and almost seemed abusive to me. The worst part was that often it seemed Tackett was punishing Micah for the parts of Micah’s personality that I liked best. I don’t even want to talk about the enema. I will never understand why that is necessary to include in any story. ICK!

Another problem I had with this book was the lack of affection that Tackett showed Micah. Tackett was the first to use the “L” word but the small gestures of appreciation that are normal for a relationship that is more than sex were totally missing here. I could feel the lust. I couldn’t feel the love. Oh, and for a BDSM novel where there should, presumably, be a lot of sex, there really wasn’t.

So, I guess after all that, I am giving this book 2.5 stars. Here’s hoping the rest of the series knocks my socks off.

Maybe Matt's Miracle