MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

An Unlocked Heart

An Unlocked Heart - K.C. Wells Although I wouldn't normally start a review talking about the end of a book, in this case the end saved the day. The last 20% of the book was really good. Where many authors seem to struggle with a story's ending, either wrapping up too quickly or tying up all of the loose ends in a way that seems forced, the ending here felt good and right. The fact that the author spent less than a paragraph setting us up for book 2 and not going off on a whole tangent to sink that hook was an added bonus.

The rest of the book? Meh. Until the end, I really didn't love either of the MCs. Alex was totally one dimensional to me. His back story could have been interesting but it wasn't that well developed and he didn't bring much to the table. I really don't understand what Leo saw in him beyond the superficial. Leo flat out annoyed me. I didn't find him believable as a Dom. He called Alex "boy" a few too many times on every page. I think the use of "boy" in a D/s relationship is fine, but here it was said over and over again. I also found it disturbingly weird how joyful Leo was every time Alex came. Isn't that what's supposed to happen during sex?

Despite all that, the D/s relationship worked for me and the sex scenes were hot and well written. The BDSM element was not too hardcore for my tastes.

I am hopeful that book 2 will be just a bit stronger.

Maybe Matt's Miracle