MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

The Billabong

The Billabong - Jack Byrne Hmmm. What to say. I didn’t love this book but I don’t think it deserves a bad review per se. There were things I liked about the story and it had so much potential not only to be a great book but one that was truly different than most of the other offerings out there. In the end, however, it was just so underdeveloped that it left me flat.

Both MCs had really good back stories that could have been played up and fleshed out. Jim’s total lack of exposure to homosexuality and not really even knowing that a man could feel what he was feeling toward Mark could have taken me, as a reader, to places I hadn’t been before. Even the setting could have really been made into something great. Australia in the 1800s is a time and a place I know nothing about and could have . I would have loved to have learned more about it.

Unfortunately, however, none of these opportunities were realized. On top of that, I didn’t connect with either of the MCs at all. I just didn’t feel it.

Sometimes I complain in my reviews that books are took long and the author could have gotten the job done just as effectively with far fewer pages. This is one of those rare cases where I think that if the author had said more, a lot more, the story could have been really great.

This was more or less a 2.5 star performance for me. Rounded up to 3 just cuz. I am actually glad to see that other reviewers liked it better than I did!

p.s. This was my Zodiac challenge book 2 for Aquarius.

Maybe Matt's Miracle