MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Superhero

Superhero - Eli Easton Owen and Jordan have been best friends since second grade and the story starts there. I liked watching their friendship grow through their adolescence rather than being told about it in hindsight or flashback. The book is told mostly from Jordan's POV but switches to Owen's here and there to give a fuller perspective on their relationship.

I was a bit put off at first spending $5 on such a short book. Well, I got every penny's worth. The writing felt honest, warm and witty. Here are some highlights:

"When I was alone jerking off, I let myself imagine things. I'd spun that one kiss in the pool into so many variations I could probably claim a Guiness World Record for Most Exhausted Fantasy."

"I noticed some of the wrestlers and football players eyeing Owen at the table and not looking too thrilled about it. I almost flipped them off then remembering that I'm, like, twenty pounds shy of the right to be cocky. I kept my finger to myself."

"You're the guy I think about every night when I'm in bed by myself. You're the one who doesn't want me but insists on keeping me tied so close that I can't have anyone else, who keeps one hand on my collar and the other hand up his girlfriend's skirt. And I can't do it anymore!"

It was friends-to-lovers (which I love), GFY (which I tolerate), OFY (which I appreciate), coming of age (which I find I like in m/m books but can't stand in m/f books). It was super duper goodness.

4.5 Stars