MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Twelve Tasks

Twelve Tasks - Therese Woodson 3.49 stars

Eliot is sweet, awkward, clumsy, and overcoming loss. Fortunately, he has Jen and Pete propping him up and pushing him forward. They are the kind of best friends everyone should have.

For the new year, Jen convinces Eliot that they are going to try a new experience every month. For January they agree to join a gym. This is where we meet Matt.

At first, Matt sees Eliot as entertainingly dorky and inept. Matt comes across as a pretentious asshole. Over time, however, Eliot begins to grow on Matt and the disdain turns to interest. Matt begins to make an effort to get to know Eliot better, but the damage has already been done and Eliot is completely skeptical of Matt's intentions. I found Matt, despite his abrasive personality issues, to be rather endearing in his efforts to overcome his tendency to be harsher on people than he intends. This dynamic between the two men worked really well for me.

The premise of transcending oneself by pushing beyond your comfort zone, here by taking on a new risk or project or experience every month, made for a good story line. Unfortunately, the story itself, and the underlying romance, moved rather slow. A bit like a snail. Kinda dragged along at times.

I also wish we had a bit more time with Eliot and Matt as a couple once they finally got their acts together.

So, I will go with I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Maybe Matt's Miracle