MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Lost Won

Lost Won - S.E. Culpepper 4 Semper Fi stars **** Oo-rah!

This is how I felt about Christian at the end of [b:Question Mark|13418642|Question Mark (Liaisons #2)|S.E. Culpepper|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348732829s/13418642.jpg|18766450]:

So was I surprised at how likable he was here. Not a lot of time was spent on explaining his transformation. The reasons came out slowly as the book progressed. I was skeptical that I would be able to buy into a likable Christian, especially with no real explanation for the change, but I fell for him hook, line, and sinker.

I also was willing to accept that after walking away from Kevin after only one night, together Christian could still be wallowing in regrets 6 years later. It seems far fetched that one bad decision could drive Christian into such a deep a funk for so long. But it worked. I don't know why.

Kevin also perplexed me. He was Marine through and through. Big and muscly and sexy and protective of those he loved. The way a gunnery sergeant should be. Just as I can't understand how Christian could still have such strong feelings about Kevin six years after their one night together, I can't understand how strong, emotionally in control Kevin could still be so hurt. But, again, it worked.

Kevin's relationship with his sister and friends added another level to the story that added to his believability.

I think that it was Christian's approach to this second chance relationship really made this story stand out. He wanted another shot to make it work with Kevin, but as long as Kevin was willing to hear him out, he would accept whatever happened. He wasn't willing, and was in fact reluctant, to push himself into Kevin's life if Kevin wasn't ready to have a relationship where he was all in. Christian's willingness to walk away was both a strength and a weakness and that dichotomy propelled the story along nicely.

This was my favorite book in the series so far. I am looking forward to Book 4, [b:Fall Apart|18660366|Fall Apart (Liaisons #4)|S.E. Culpepper|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381445966s/18660366.jpg|26479016], which appears to be totally unrelated to the story line in the first 3 books. I am somewhat relieved that the author did not spend a lot of time in this book prepping us for book 4. Or, the prepping was so subtle that I didn't even notice. Either way works for me.

Maybe Matt's Miracle