MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

American Love Songs

American Love Songs - Ashlyn Kane From the title of this book, I thought it was going to be a heavy read. But it wasn’t. It was actually quite funny and sweet. And it wasn’t your typical bad boy rocker falls in love smut fest either. Thank goodness.

I loved the different ways the story was moved along. The story’s narrative portions were told in Jake’s voice, and his wicked sense of humor was evident throughout. But the parts that were communicated through blog posts, texts, emails, magazine articles, and interviews made it feel like you were actually there as events unfolded between the characters.

Jake quickly became one of my favorite MCs of all times. He was out and proud and never tried to hide who he was. He never became jaded despite the band’s fast rising success and their status as rock stars.

Jake was so clueless about the feelings building between him and Parker that you had to shake your head and wonder. But the slow burn and building UST really worked for me. At the same time, when Parker finally came to terms with what he wanted, Jake’s ability to but aside his own desire and be patient for the sake of their relationship was unexpectedly believable. Even though I generally enjoy a bit more (or a lot more) sex in my books than was offered up here, the story was enjoyable without it.

My main complaint was that at times Jake, as narrator, told the story in first person omniscient and knew what was happening with the other characters even when he wasn’t there. At the same time, Jake, the character, was often surprised by events going on around him. That didn’t always square up for me but that is more of technical point than one that affected the flow of the story.

I will forgive the lack of on page sex. There was some toward the end but not a ton.

As an aside, the audiobook was quite enjoyable. Kudos to the narrator.

Maybe Matt's Miracle