MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

One Good Deed

One Good Deed - Andrew  Grey I went into this BR concerned that I would love the book and Richard would trash it. But, SURPRISE, I will be the one trashing it.

To be fair, I didn't hate this book but I have given 3 stars to books I liked way better than this one so I will go with 2.5 stars rounded down.

The book had great potential. I liked the premise of Luka coming to the US barely speaking English and having to make his way more or less alone in a new country. The author could have done so much not only with language barrier and the culture shock that anyone experiences when they move somewhere new, but also differing expectations in how a romantic relationship plays out. Some of these ideas were touched upon but they could have been developed so much further.

Peter's back story, on the other hand didn't do much for me. I just couldn't bring myself to care.

But the problem for me was not just that the story fell flat but that the writing seemed sort of amateurish. The sex scenes, although hot, were especially awkward in the language used. I stopped myself several times to think "that was a strange way to phrase things." And really, how weird is it to use the words "butt" and "bottom" instead of "ass." I mean come on. They are having full on penetrative sex. A few "bad" words thrown into the mix isn't going to offend anyone reading this stuff.

Well, Richard, we are going to have to do this again soon and find a book we both love!

Maybe Matt's Miracle