MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

The House on Hancock Hill

The House on Hancock Hill - Indra Vaughn The clouds part. The sun shines through. Angels sing. The book slump is over!

4.25 stars.

I really liked this story. It was sweet. It was a bit angsty. It wasn't overly complicated. It wasn't overambitious. There was just the right balance of plot, character development, and relationship exploration for my personal taste.

Jason spent his summers in the UP for most of his childhood. Until one year when he was a teenager, his family just stopped going. Now in his mid-twenties he must go back because the abandoned family farm house has burned down and he must see to its clean up.

After crashing in a snow storm, his old childhood friend, Henry comes to the rescue. The two men are drawn together and the emotional bond between them quickly develops but several failures to communicate separates them and keeps them apart for a long painful year during which both suffer needlessly but also helped each of them reach a place where they knew what they wanted and were ready to commit to the other. I realize that if the two men just talked through their concerns rather than making assumptions about what the other wanted and/or needed, this would have been a completely different story. So, even though I don't usually like the use of that plot device, it was the thing that moved this story along.

Maybe Matt's Miracle