MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Red Dirt Heart

Red Dirt Heart - N.R. Walker NR Walker I love you. I will come be your housekeeper so you have more time to write. Cuz I only have two more of your books to read and then I will have read them all. Then what will I do? *panics*

This book, which I give 4.5 stars, is everything I have come to expect from N.R. Walker. It is all about the relationship. Its all about two people overcoming their insecurities and falling in love. No unexpected plot twists, no distracting mystery, no years of separation because of some silly misunderstanding.

Charlie unexpectedly inherits a large, isolated station (ranch) in the Australian outback when his father dies. He reconciles himself to the fact that he will always be alone. He assumes that there is no way he will find another man who would love him enough to commit to such a hard, desolate life and no way he could come out and still maintain the respect of his ranch hands. His father told him as much when his sexuality first came to light. His father’s words haunt him on a daily basis.

Then Travis, an American studying agriculture, comes to stay at the ranch for 4 weeks. Travis challenges Charlie to question the assumptions he has made about his life and to picture a future filled with love rather than solitude. Travis never waivers as Charlie struggles to come to terms with accepting that the future he had resigned himself to might not be his fate after all.

The supporting characters were well written and added so much to the story. And the setting was incredible, playing its own part in the unfolding love story between Charlie and Travis. The red dirt, the heat of the outback, the loneliness of life on the station were all part of Charlie’s soul but also the reason for his isolation, both physical and emotional.

There was no cliffhanger here but I am still anxiously awaiting book two. I am curious to see if we will see Charlie and Travis building their lives together or if we will meet two new characters.

Maybe Matt's Miracle