MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Vivaldi in the Dark

Vivaldi in the Dark - Matthew J. Metzger Although this book was about two 16 year old MCs, it didn't really feel like a YA book to me. Yes, there were the normal YA elements, coming out, bullying, a first kiss. But it was also about clinical depression and having no one to turn to and no way to ask for help. It was about parents who don't see their children as anything more than a means to improve their social status and the difficulties of growing up as a trophy child (not a term the author used, but it applies). These issues were handle in a way that I, as an adult, could appreciate, probably more so than could a younger person reading this story.

What moved me the most in this story was Jayden, despite his meekness and his young age, finding the strength to be what Darren needed. To give Darren what his parents could not.

I am thrilled that the author has decided to continue this story in [b:The Devil's Trill Sonata|20935687|The Devil's Trill Sonata (Vivaldi in the Dark, #2)|Matthew J. Metzger|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1393604691s/20935687.jpg|40305943] so we can see what life holds for these two as they head into their 20s. I hope they find happiness.

4.5 Stars.