MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

Man Candy

Man Candy - Samantha Cayto 3.5 stars and another FABULOUS buddy read with my fabulous buddy, Garrett.

I wanted to love this story so much. I liked the premise of the story and I loved the MCs. I really connected with them and believed their stories. I also loved the way Alex's coming out was handled. Brent understood that he was young and still in the closet out of concern for his family's reaction. Brent didn't push Alex to come out just for the convenience of their relationship. He was firm in his position that Alex should not come out until he was ready and until he was in a place where he could make do if his family's reaction was unexpectedly negative.

The age/experience difference between the two MCs also worked for me. It wasn't so extreme that it was squicky. It was just enough to create an interesting dynamic between them.

But there were several things that didn't work. The transition of the pair from a quick rough fuck to a D/s relationship didn't play out in a way that felt believable to me. All of a sudden Brent was calling Alex "boy" and Alex was calling Brent "Sir" without any discussion between them of what all that meant to each of them.

Also, the book need about 50 more pages to really develop the relationship. The story ended way too abruptly and the epilogue felt rushed like the author was quickly trying to cram in as much information as possible in as little space as possible.

And the cover? Horrific. May I suggest Kevin Warhol with Bravo Delta as Alex and Brent instead:

Maybe Matt's Miracle