MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

A Fighting Man

A Fighting Man - Sandrine Gasq-Dion My first book review for Because Two Men Are Better Than One! Click here to see the and comment on My Blog Review of A Fighting Man.

I loved the first book in this series, A Betting Man, was a bit of a let down after the high of A Betting Man but still quite good. My GR Review of A Marrying Man is here.

A Fighting Man, however, is right back up there in the "loved it" classification. Not quite the 5 starts I gave A Betting Man but a very solid 4 stars, maybe even a fraction more.

From book 2 I was already crazy about Casper and the way he rebuffed​ the sexy but overconfident Slater. In A Fighting Man, however, Casper and Slater become real people and Casper's standoffish behavior towards Slater transforms from a funny side story to something more serious. Casper is heartbroken and has drawn certain lines in the sand to protect his heart from being broken in the same way again.

A Fighting Man was, to me, the most realistic book of the three stories so far. The issues of survivor's guilt and dealing with trauma played out in a way that really connected with me. These issues were not too heavy yet they were not glossed over or resolved in a manner that seemed too tidy.

Family matters were also a fairly serious theme addressed in this story. Although we already know that Slater's family is incredible, Casper isn't so lucky in that regard. Not only is he missing the support of his own family when he needs it, homophobia robbed him of his right to properly mourn a previously lost loved one. He carries that pain with him and it interferes with his ability to let Slater in.

I am assuming (and hoping) there will be a book 4 to this series. Perhaps Drakon??? Perhaps Mr. Hawke? Perhaps Drakon with Mr. Hawke. I guess we will have to wait and see. One thing is certain though, I hope to be one of the first to read it.

This book was provide by the publisher for the purpose of providing an honest review for Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

Maybe Matt's Miracle