MishyJo

I live on Goodreads but I promise to figure out Booklikes eventually.

A Change of Tune

A Change of Tune - J.M. Cartwright I give the rock star starting over and the small town sheriff 3 stars. Maybe a bit more. Had Grissom been a better written character from the beginning, this would have easily have been a 4 star read from me.

I will start by saying that by 20% I was ready to DNF. And I would have but for the fact that I didn't want to DNF on two BRs in a row with Marco. So I stuck it out. And it got better as it went.

Grissom (a terrible name, isn't it? Yes it's his last name, but his first name, Virgil, named for the astronaut, is just as bad) was aggressive and demanding and not in an attractive way. He wasn't unlikable in an interesting sort of way, he was just flat out unlikable. And the insta-lust between nasty Grissom and the otherwise wonderful Johnny was hard to believe. What could Johnny possibly have seen in him?

Fortunately as the story progressed, Grissom's rough edges smoothed out and he became more and more likable.

And Johnny? He was awesome. His character was well written. He had a big heart. He wasn't perfect but he was trying to live a good life while being true to himself. Accepting himself as a gay man, putting himself out there despite being in the public eye, starting a family and a new life -- all so well done.

I also liked the fact that this was an OFY story rather GFY. True OFY stories seem to be harder to come by. Needless to say, I was pretty interested in seeing how this story played out.

So, a mixed bag this one was.

Maybe Matt's Miracle